Life's Ironies

Hey everyone! After a year, I'm back! Okay, it hasn't been a year and let's be honest, it's likely the person reading this is someone in Latvia who randomly stumbled upon my blog while searching for an article about American toothpaste, or something random like that. If that's you, thanks for stopping by, but I don't have any information about toothpaste. For anyone else, how's it going?

I know it's been a while since I last posted. Life has been busy and yet pretty uneventful. I'm married now and just starting to settle into it. I'm living in Boise with my beautiful wife and my new puppy, Topper. He's a handful, but great for our little family right now. My job is going great and I'm learning a lot. I feel like I'm really accomplishing something everyday. Life is just pretty darn good.

So that brings us to today. Why do I suddenly decide to blog after a peaceful leave of absence from the digital world? There's two reasons. First, I miss voicing my opinions about a lot of different topics. Second, after watching General Conference this weekend, it seems like there has been a big push for us Latter-Day Saints to get our voices out and speak about subjects that are meaningful to us. So that being said, here goes.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about a show called Sister Wives. I've never seen the show and don't know much about it besides that it's about a polygamous family living in Lehi. Now before I go any further, I have to clearly state that I don't support polygamy. The LDS church doesn't support polygamy. Anyone found practicing polygamy is excommunicated from the church. I feel that's important to point out before I talk about one of life's little ironies.

As a missionary, I ran into a lot of people asking about why we practiced polygamy in the past. They wondered how such a commandment could be moral. How could God command something that seems so wrong in our society. I'm not here to answer that question. I've gained my own testimony about it and invite everyone else that may struggle with the topic to study it out and pray in their own time to gain an understanding of the topic. The interesting thing to me, the thing I wanted to talk about, was the irony of the situation. There are many people out there that can't stand the idea of polygamy. They find it absolutely horrible that a guy would marry more than one woman. The irony is that the same people have no problem with a guy sleeping around, having kids with more than one woman. I just don't quite understand it. Maybe it's the fact that the guy wants to take care of the women for all their life instead of just leaving a whole bunch of single mothers out on the streets? Maybe it's the idea of a fatherly figure being available for every kid that they abhor. I don't really know, but it seems to me that I'd rather have a whole bunch of polygamists than a whole bunch of people who sleep around taking no responsibility for their actions.

Now I realize that this is over simplifying the problem. A lot of people have problems with people sleeping around too. Many polygamist families lead to child abuse and other problems. But if you could choose, would you rather have families with fatherly figures at home taking care of a bigger than average family, or a bunch of single moms taking care of their kids? Just something to think about.

I'd love to hear your comments about this topic. Also, feel free to leave any other topics you might be interested to hear my opinion about. I'm thinking my blog is going to start being a place for me to speak to the world about what I think we could to better. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Comments

Sarah said…
I'd never thought about polygamy in that way, but your argument makes sense. I think that families with two parents are definitely better than single moms. Single moms deal with a whole lot of problems that oftentimes aren't their fault. The moms love their kids, but it seems like the world is constantly against hardworking single moms.

Another point about polygamy, is that the LDS church believes that families are forever! My cousin's wife passed away and he was recently remarried. I guess he is a polygamist because he is sealed to two wives. In that way, this doctrine is a huge eternal blessing to him and his family.

Welcome back to the digital world!

Popular posts from this blog

La La Land: A Dizzying Journey of Magical Moments

New Beginnings

Imaginator Extraordinaire